We have the ability to make change, let's do it in style.
We believe that fashion doesn't need to suffer in order to do good, so BIDA blends the realms of style and sustainability. Supporting sustainable and ethical fashion practices doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach. Making changes over time is more attainable for long term commitment, so join the movement today and #ShopSustainable!
Why Go Sustainable & Ethical?
- The clothing industry is the second largest polluting industry behind oil.
- An average American throws away around 80 lbs of clothing per year overfilling landfills.
- Synthetic clothing can take hundreds of years to decompose, emitting toxins and chemicals during the process.
- If the average life of clothing was extended by 3 months it would reduce by 5-10% of their carbon and water footprints.
- The fashion industry is a $3 trillion a year industry, but some workers earn less than $3 a day, some only earning $1 a day.
How Is BIDA Sustainable and Ethical?
- We only work with sustainable fabrics, although some are not 100% sustainable they are a step in the right direction. We are constantly working towards the goal of 100% sustainability!
- We promote More Wear and Less Waste with quality minimalistic clothing that is seasonless and simple to style.
- We promote the proper care and love for your garments to ensure they have a full lifespan.
- We work with an ethical manufacturer in Bali, Indonesia who pay a fair wage including sick days and vacation pay, use energy efficient sewing machines, donate fabric waste to locals, and use plant based bags instead of plastic.
- We use biodegradable cellophane bags made from natural resources like wood, instead of plastic.
- We use recycled fabrics for our labels and care tags.
By focusing on using sustainable fabrics, we aim to work with the environment not against it. Not all fabrics are 100% sustainable but we work hard and improve every day towards this goal!
A natural textile that is durable, breathable, silky soft, fast drying, lightweight, and easy to care from. When grown organically, cotton is fully sustainable without chemicals, is renewable and is biodegradable.
RAYON - LYOCELL & TENCEL ™
Rayon is a semi-synthetic textile that is biodegradable, buttery soft, drapes beautifully, durable, breathable, and is lightweight. Rayon is a regenerated cellulose fiber made from various wood pulps and has been developed in 3 generations - Viscose, Modal, and Lyocell.
Lyocell is the third generation of Rayon and consists of cellulose fibers made from various wood pulps. The fiber is produced via an advanced 'closed loop' process, with minimal impact on the environment and economical use of energy and water, making this the most sustainable form of Rayon.
TENCEL™ branded lyocell and modal fibers are produced by environmentally responsible processes from the sustainably sourced natural raw material wood with very little waste product. TENCEL™ also creates the strongest fiber form of Rayon.
RAYON - BAMBOO
Bamboo Rayon is the second generation of Rayon and consists of wood fibres taken from bamboo trees. This is great because bamboo is a fast growing plant that requires no fertilizers, no pesticides, less water, less labour, and self-regenerates after being cut. Bamboo fibres are treated after spinning to make the filaments stronger, as well have the potential to be very light and fine. However, the fiber is not produced via a fully 'closed loop' process with around 50% chemical solvent byproduct.
RAYON - MODAL/CUPRO
Modal Rayon is also the second generation of Rayon and consists of wood fibers taken from beech trees. Using the same process as bamboo, modal is treated to provide lightness and fineness, and has around 50% chemical solvent byproduct.
RAYON - VISCOSE
Viscose Rayon is the first generation of Rayon and is created from regenerated cellulose fibre made from plants or wood pulp, using the viscose process. This process is not fully 'closed loop' leaving a 50% chemical solvent byproduct.
BIDA believes sustainable and ethical fashion practices are necessary and can be achieved through a more minimalistic lifestyle.
By managing our impacts, monitoring our supply chains and focusing on using sustainable textiles we aim to promote a way to support and work with the environment.
To us, minimalism means living a more wholesome lifestyle. This includes creating less waste, living within your means, and focusing your energy on a healthy lifestyle and healthy relationships.
BIDA works with an ethical clothing manufacturer in Bali, Indonesia. The factory places emphasis on providing a safe, clean, and fun working environment for their staff. They also strive for sustainability by using plant based bags instead of plastic, fabrics waste given to locals to use for production of small goods, and energy efficient sewing machines.
CARE FOR YOUR GARMENTS
A little love can go a long way.
It's important to take proper care for your garments by following the care labels to ensure longevity. Only wash your garments when need, this helps to keep water and energy consumption low, and spot clean for in-between washes.
Be sure to use the cold setting on your washer to decrease energy use and prevent your garments fibers from breaking down.
Line dry instead of tumble dry for an even better environmental impact, and prevent your garments from breaking down as well.
MORE WEAR, LESS WASTE
BIDA promotes more wear and less waste by focusing on minimal designs for our garments.
Our garments can blend easily into any closet during any season with different styling tactics. They can work for layering or as stand alone pieces and are timeless.
We only use fabrics that are functional for occasions such as yoga or the gym, yet luxurious enough for dressing up for brunch or dinner. Allowing you to make the most out of your purchase.
When you're ready to part ways with your garment be sure to do it responsibly. We recommend passing it on to a friend or family member, donating it, or taking it in to a recycling service.